Wednesday, February 25, 2009

How do you save money on vacation?

I know that with this tight economy a lot of us will be skipping vacations or staying closer to home. Some of you, like me, will be going out of town to visit family or just get away. I want to be a frugal as possible, but still have fun. Here are some ideas that I have come up with. Please let me know what ideas you have.
1.We bought an entertainment book for the area we will be traveling. We will get BOGO free coupons the restaurants and area attractions.
2. you can use Restaurants.com and buy certificates to the area you will travel. Unfortunately for us, the area we are going to doesn't have any participating restaurants.
3. Use your Mypoints account to get gift cards to restaurants in the area you will be going. We got TGIFridays (I know, I'm regretting that after last Sat....LOL) and Outback.
4. If you have any other reward cards that offers giftcards as a perk. I had a credit card that I no longer use, but I had acquired points that I could cash in for a $25 TGIFridays gift card.
5. Call the hotel you will be staying in and make sure you are getting the best rate you can possibly get. We called the hotel that we will be staying in after we had already seen a quote online. They quoted us a higher price per night. We mentioned that we had seen a cheaper price online. Well after talking to her for a few minutes we got our rate cut in half. We got a weekly rate because we are staying 6 nights. They didn't just offer this rate to us even though they knew the length of our stay. We had to keep asking about a better rate. From now on if I am staying over 6 days I will always ask about a weekly rate. (by the way this rate was not given to us online either)
Let me know if you have any other ideas for me.

No comments: