Saturday, January 9, 2010

clam chowder recipe


When it is in the 20's (low) and 40's (high) with possible snow flurries in North Florida then it is time to make soup. My husband loves clam chowder. He orders it everywhere we go.....btw, it is excellent at Sneaker's sports grill/bar. I have never made it. I went to Allrecipes.com which I love and found this great recipe. Go here to get this recipe. Everyone in my house loved it. Not the lowest calorie soup, but soooooo good.
I did my recipe for 12 servings, but you can adjust the amount of servings you want the recipe for on Allrecipe.com.
Ingredients
  • 5 (6.5 oz) cans minced clams
  • 1 1/2 cups minced onions
  • 1 1/2 cups diced celery
  • 3 cups cubed potatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
  • 1 cup 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 cup and 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 6 cups half and half
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • ground pepper to taste

directions:

1) drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes, and carrots. Add water to cover and cook over medium heat until tender.

2) meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in four until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and clam juice. Heat through but do not boil.

3) stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.

Very yummy and kid approved by my 3.

No comments: